PitCare, Inc. grew out of the vision of two couples that became good neighbors in the economically challenged town of Pitcairn, PA. By relocating to Pitcairn in 2010, this vision became a reality. PitCare, Inc. attained its 501(c)(3) Non-Profit status in 2014. In March of 2015, PitCare, Inc. hired its first Executive Director, and in January 2019 PitCare hired its first Director of Operations. Both our current Executive Director and our Director of Operations reside in Pitcairn.
From the onset PitCare, Inc. has focused its resources on empowering families, building community, and promoting economic stability to the town in Pitcairn, PA
To carry out its mission, PitCare:
- Purchased and renovated two commercial buildings, two three-bedroom apartments, and two single-family homes.
- Operates the local Pitcairn Food Pantry at its Broadway Street Location. Providing food for 120 families each month.
- Prepares and provides Meals through our Meals on Wheels program serving our seniors in Pitcairn, Wall, Wilmerding, Trafford, and Monroeville.
- Provides affordable housing to three Pitcairn families,
- Manages a program refurbishing and giving away on average 30-35 bicycles yearly and offers maintenance workshops for the youth.
- Our Focus Beyond the Field program reaches over 75 community children through athletics, academics, and discipline.
- Organizes baking, cooking, and nutrition classes.
- Operates a Summer Reading Program for over 45 children ages 5 through 5th grade over the summer months since 2016.
- Renovated the main floor of our Center Avenue location to house the Kim Parsons Library and Community Center.
- Partners with Allegheny County’s “Learn & Earn” summer program in which we have employed over 8 youth since 2018.
Each of the above programs has grown from modest beginnings to reaching a greater number of children and families in the community!
***(Check donations can be made payable to PitCare, Inc. c/o Dawn Owen and mailed to 526 3rd Street, Pitcairn, PA 15140)